Thursday, July 27, 2006

Stuck in the Middle

On June 11 (yes, I know I'm behind on this one, but I'm not in America, so give me a break), NPR did a story on the success of Kevin Donohue's book The Stolen Child thanks to amateur reviewers on Amazon.com.

This past Tuesday, Slate's Jack Schafer published a piece about the NYT's capsule movie reviews.

The nature of journalistic criticism (of books, movies, etc.) is changing. The professional critic/reviewer is less relevant and long, thoughtful reviews seem to be the stuff of yesteryear.

To be honest, I'm not sure how to feel about this. Obviously, at this point I'm certainly no more than an amateur reviewer (especially given the increasing rarity with which I post to this blog), so perhaps this is good news, but I aspire to be a professional, in which case it is bad.

Profound. I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home