Sunday, July 09, 2006

Oh, les Bleus, you were a cruel mistress

Tonight, France lost the World Cup.

I left my friends apartment half-expecting to walk through a field of burning cars on my way to the Metro, but the streets were eerily quiet. When I got on the train, the car was very crowded - especially for so late on a Sunday night - but it might as well have been empty. No one spoke. No one made eye contact.

As I wrote almost a year ago now, I'm not much of a sports fan, but I did get caught up in the wave of France's seemingly unstoppable momentum and, just like with Andre last year, my involvement lead only to disappointment. Mostly, however, I'm just sad that the whole country isn't erupting in a giant party as Italy is undoubtedly doing at this exact moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home