Friday, August 12, 2005

I'm just throwing this out there...

I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I realize that this is something of a delayed reaction - I saw it more than a few weeks ago (with David Quimby, who I think will stand by my opinion on this one) - but I didn't anticipate this mediocre film getting such a landslide of unwarranted approval and, like the straw that broke the camel's back, one too many people has told me just how much they loved it, inciting me to speak.

I like Tim Burton. I like him a lot. I also really like Johnny Depp. I especially like them together. Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands were both really great and the story of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory seemed like the perfect kind of project for Burton and Depp to collaborate on. Nonetheless, the movie was slow, boring, lacked verisimilitude - which Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands had, in spite of the fantastical nature of their plots - and, most importantly, was odd without being profound or funny. In fact, nearly every attempt at profundity or humor fell flat on its face. The subplot involving Wonka's father was ill-conceived and overdone and the comedic aspects were transparent and clunky.

There are a few saving graces to the film, but not enough. I'll admit, the movie actually does start off fairly strongly, but as soon as they enter the factory, it just simmers down to average.

I really just don't know what everyone else is talking about.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clay said...

I understand that they employ trained squirrels in one scene. Surely this must be considered a redeeming quality.

August 12, 2005 8:39 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I love your blog! You did an excellent job! I have a blog on corvette parts if you would like to come and comment on it!

August 12, 2005 4:05 PM  
Blogger Quimby said...

To be fair, though I agree with Steve, my opinion probably shouldn't count for much, because I slept through half of the movie. But the parts I saw I didn't like.

Also, where the fuck did this corvette guy come from? Funny!

-d

August 15, 2005 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home